10/26/2005

LogMeIn and get going!

I can't hold back my enthusiasm on this product. Ever since the days of the old pcAnywhere and LapLink, I've always enjoyed accessing my PC from a remote location, even as close as via a LapLink parallel cable, and it helped greatly over the past several years when I had to access other people's PC's for technical support, from my rabbi to my lawyer to my brother. Even though Windows Mobile devices contained applets like Terminal Services Client which work with the Remote Desktop feature of Windows XP, I always felt the need of an all-around product to do the job. One of the biggest obstacles I faced was accessing certain ports through my work. Many companies lock down sites and more importantly, ports, so that only browsing activity is permitted. What made it worse was that Internet service providers such as Optimum Online prohibit incoming ports such as port 80, the only port I could possibly get out through my work. In the meantime, GoToMyPC.com was one of the first services that I knew to go live to access your PC remotely from any other PC through the Internet. But their pricing scheme, starting at $19.95 a month for just ONE PC is too much to ask, unless you'd be using it for corporate (read: expensed) or heavy use to make the cost justifiable. LapLink Everywhere also came out with a service, but they, too, are comparatively pricey. Enter LogMeIn. From USA-based company called 3am Labs, they previously created a very well-designed program called RemotelyAnywhere, a powerful remote access software, mainly designed for servers and enterprise locations. I had the privilege of testing this product for our company's needs (I don't know how my company eventually picked Timbuktu Pro?!) Where do I begin with this awesome service? Well, for starters, LogMeIn also provides remote desktop access to PCs from any other PC or device through the Internet. For their basic service of remote access, it's FREE. They even include a plug-in for Pocket PC devices so you can get a full view and access your desktop in landscape mode! On the Pocket PC, you can access files (but that feature is disabled on desktop PCs - you have to get the paid version of LogMeIn Pro, but at $70 per year, that's still worth it!) Also, you don't have to configure your router to specify any port forwarding - the LogMeIn software on your desktop PC is in constant contact with the LogMeIn server to give you a status of its availability and so that it can use their servers to connect across from your device or PC to your desktop PC. Because of that, there's no need to memorize IP addresses or set up DNS names, either. With technology adapted from RemotelyAnywhere, you'll get a fully-zoomable and resizable view of your desktop that's fully interactive, even with clipboard transfer capability. You can also set up access to more than one PC under your account, and even create hot shortcuts, and that's all included in the free version. Everything is done through the browser. It uses ActiveX, Java, or even just straight HTML. Because of that, there's literally no browser that won't be able to access your PC remotely. Lastly, it's a secure connection, with an HTTPS session, Thawte certificate security, and a single password or Windows NTLM authentication. Now, I don't condone the use of this service as a workaround to your corporate firewall and internet restrictions, but since you can access your home PC which can likely access anything... well... you get the picture. Sign up for a free account and have the freedom of accessing your PC with your Wizard through its fast EDGE connection, or its even faster Wi-Fi connection. Thanks to musashi1337 for bringing it to everyone's attention on HowardForums. It's an incredible program and service that is a must-have on mobile devices such as ours. If there's something your Wizard cannot do (which is very little at this point), at least you have the means to access a full desktop PC that can!

1 Comments:

Blogger dweiniger said...

I love the logmein.com
the only thing now that would complete me is the video transmitting. I haven't heard back from commvu, but to use the camera, and obtain the images from a PC on the net would complete the package.
dw

10/29/2005 01:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home