
The boys at msmobiles.com have an
exclusive look at the sleek-looking HTC Hermes model, which now looks to me like a certifiable successor to the Wizard. When I first heard
initial reports of this device and read its initial hardware specifications, I was glad that the confidence of my purchase of the Wizard wasn't shaken. After all, it had similar specifications to the JASJAR but in a Wizard form-factor, but it had no EDGE, but UMTS. And, as you know, we have no UMTS here in the USA, except for Cingular's trial run which is 1. on a different frequency, and 2. is in select cities only.
HOWEVER! With this
new article, all bets are off if the new specifications are correct:
EDGE will be included along with GPRS, UMTS, and possibly HSPDA! The fact that the device was initially known NOT to have EDGE put my mind at ease, since I was fearing the slow GPRS speeds when I'm not near a Wi-Fi hotspot.
I can only say, thank God that this device is not expected to be released until May 2006. I will have a least 7 months or so of bliss with my Wizard before I consider an eBay or trade-in option. I do so wanted a
videoconferencing capability as the
JASJAR had, but with the lack of EDGE, I passed on that device. However, the Hermes will likely be the device to go for when it's finally released and if it contains the high-speed wireless carrier technology that will be usable in the States.
For those not in the know and are asking,
"What the heck is EDGE?" check
this explanation out.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home