10/21/2005

Am I in Shift, Caps, or Dot mode?

I can't be appreciative enough of the hardware slideout keyboard on the Wizard. I missed it on my JAM when I migrated away from the PDA2k; though I didn't like the buttons too much on it, it was still a lot better than a "full-screen" keyboard or an Input Panel. But one thing that bothered me was after the fact I learned about the double-key method to toggle the Caps Lock and Symbols Lock mode (or whatever you call it when using the Dot key), I didn't remember if I was shifting into it, or locking into that mode, and there was no on-screen indicator to tell me what I'm in... at least until now. Looking inside my \Windows\Startup folder on my Wizard, I found a shortcut to an application called CapNotify.exe. Upon inspecting the file in a hex editor, I found a registry key called "EnableIndicator" which was not found in the registry. After creating the registry entry called EnableIndicator at \HKCU\ControlPanel\Keybd and assigning the DWORD value of 1 to it , then soft-resetting my device, an indicator appeared next to the keyboard icon on the bottom of the screen! Tapping the Shift key showed a "C" while tapping the Dot key showed a dot! Very cool! I will add that this only works in a Windows Mobile 5.0-compliant application that doesn't take up the bottom bar for its own use. While Resco Explorer 2005 is Windows Mobile 5.0-ready, it shifts the keyboard icon to the right and gives the look of a Windows Mobile 2003 menu bar - there, the indicator does not show. Same goes for the simple and free Tillanosoft PocketNotepad. However, when I'm using Word Mobile or Internet Explorer Mobile where the soft keys and the keyboard icon are the only things taking up the bottom bar, the indicator is then displayed. Also, the indicator won't differentiate if you're shifted or locked in Caps or Dot mode - but you'll find out the moment you hit a key: if it disappears, then you were shifted, otherwise, you're locked. That'll save some aggravation in finding out what the hell "key state" I'm in, and I know some people were clamoring for a feature like this. Interesting to know it's been there all along, just never activated. Hmpf.

4 Comments:

Blogger palmsolo said...

BTT, you ROCK! There are some minor annoyances I have with my QTEK 9100, but you keep on fixing them and this will be the PERFECT device.

Here is my next request for you should you decide to accept it. Get the preproduction QTEK 9100 Comm Manager working on the production K-JAM and QTEK 9100 devices that includes a Phone on/off toggle rather than a volume on/off toggle button.

I may have to donate some more funds to your contest if you keep up all this great work :)

10/21/2005 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger palmsolo said...

OK, I was confused at first. There was nothing in the registry for this and I am still a bit of a beginner when it comes to registry entries.

I then reread your post closely and figured out that I needed to create a new DWORD value entry called EnableIndicator. I also left the default Decimal Base checked. After I made my changes and reset it was lost and was no longer there. Can you please help me get this setup?

10/21/2005 03:15:00 PM  
Blogger BeyondtheTech said...

It sounds like you're making the registry entry properly as needed.

I'm having some inconsistencies in dealing with the registry as well, and I think this is happening ever since I tried Bengalboy's advice on tweaking the K-JAM by changing the Registry from hive to file format. In any case, I've been trying to delete a certain registry key for a few days now, and after every reboot, it comes back (I'm referring to the Voice Speed Dial applet under Settings).

Maybe the changes are not taking effect immediately (cached?). If anything, make the change, play with your device a little bit more before you soft reset it, then see if that registry change holds.

10/21/2005 03:26:00 PM  
Blogger palmsolo said...

Thanks man! I was soft resetting just after exiting PHM Registry Editor and this time I waited an hour and did something else and now it works like a charm.

I just tested something else out for someone on the forums and am a bit disappointed in the results. The speakerphone on the person's end who I am talking is HORRIBLE and thus I can't use the speakerphone if I wanted to right now. I generally use a Bluetooth headset so it hasn't been an issue yet, but this could prove a problem if I have to make a business call. Does yours have this problem? Hopefully there will be a ROM update to fix it soon.

10/21/2005 08:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home