11/19/2005

Do you have 802.11g?

msmobiles.com posted an interesting article regarding variations of the Wizard that may not have 802.11g Wi-Fi present or enabled. While my K-JAM does connect to the "g" standard, it is said that the MDA Vario from T-Mobile and the XDA Mini S from O2 only provide 802.11b compatibility. Whether or not it is a true hardware difference, registry entries or support files, additional or different radio stacks remains to be seen. In this thread, people who have unlocked their Wizards using the service provided by IMEI-Check have been able to put the K-JAM ROMs on their non-K-JAM devices. I have yet to hear if applying the K-JAM ROM actually "enables" 802.11g functionality. Could it be that branded versions of the Wizard will not have "g" functionality, either out of the box, or ever, and that the K-JAM and 9100, both unbranded devices, will have it? Your comments and experience with your Wizard's Wi-Fi, please.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an Imate and I configured by router for G only and my K-Jam connected . I then set up my old B router and it conected. Although it took a while to see the B network.

11/21/2005 02:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never been able to connect to my Belkin Pre-N router using my Vario - I had to set up a separate Wireless-B only AP to be able to use wireless functionality in my home.

I have since read that the branded Wizards (ie. the Vario and the O2 mini S) are limited to 802.11b while the unbranded iMate and QTek's have full 802.11g support, but no-one seemed able to confirm whether this was due to different hardware, or the ROM image.

I have just reflashed my Vario with the iMate K-JAM WWE 1010903_106_10110_ship ROM and can confirm that this is a T-Mobile ROM limitation - my phone now happily connects to my Belkin router using 802.11g protocol.

11/28/2005 12:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Did anybody have success in connecting a O2 XDA Mini S from Germany to a "g" network?

12/01/2005 07:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home