11/03/2005

BIGtext for a small device

Well, I decided to sit down for a couple of hours and design a neat program that will work great on the Wizard, as well as the Universal and Apache. I call it BIGtext. All you have to do is type a message and click Show Text and it will scroll your phrase across the screen in large, bold, legible letters. What's the purpose of this? Well, consider this. Suppose you're in a crowded room and you want to send a message to someone across the room. You could shout it out, or you can simply type a message and face your Wizard towards that person so they can read it. How about if you're stuck behind a thick glass and they can't hear you? You can quickly type up what you need to say, and show it to them. Works great if you're on a bus or train and it's about to take off. Not everyone is as lucky as you to have a Wizard, let alone a wireless device or even a cell phone. What better way to get the message across than to have them read it? Now, the initial version requires an integrated keyboard, but if you're a Wizard, Apache, or Universal owner, this won't be a problem. It also uses the Windows Mobile 5.0 soft keys to toggle showing and entering text, and exiting the application. It's my first attempt at capturing the soft keys' keycodes as well as seeing how we can make extra use of our devices. I put it up on PocketGear.com for a measly $2.50. You can download the registerable trial version from there, or you can download a local copy here: Desktop installer or CAB file. Let me know what you think of it. UPDATE: PocketGear.com has to "approve" the submission to their database, so clicking the link may send you to Bubble Buster Advanced or something. Just give it time or use the local link for now. The only issue with the program is that it can't hit some of the symbols, such as ! (shows up as 1), and you must flip to landscape mode (keyboard open) before launching the application, otherwise the buttons and orientation get confused. I designed this program with Game Editor Pro, and I feel I'm getting over my writer's block finally, so that I can complete Battlestar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home