10/06/2005

Microsoft Voice Command on the K-JAM

I posted this on a number of boards since I was so happy to have done my first hack on this wonderful unit. The K-JAM is equipped with Cyberon's Voice Speed Dial software. Note that this program uses 'voice tagging' and not 'voice recognition.' The difference? You have to tag every contact, every application with your recorded voice phrase in order for it to match up and activate. With 304 contacts and a slew of applications, I instantly decided against this program. They could have at least used Cyberon's Voice Commander software, such as the one provided on the E-ten M500/Torq P100. In either case, I was quite disappointed they couldn't use Microsoft's own Voice Command software, since they intended it to be an optional feature of the new Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system. People have reported that the latest version of Microsoft Voice Command, 1.5, is not compatible with Windows Mobile 5.0. Being the hardheaded person I am, I decided to find a way to get it installed anyhow.
  1. Cyberon's Voice Speed Dial software is embedded with the OS and not as an addon through the Extended ROM. The only way to disable it is to delete the shortcut in the \Windows\Start Menu as well as the SDDaemon.lnk file in the \Windows\Startup folder.
  2. Install Microsoft Voice Command normally. I've got the CAB file extracted from the installer program on the desktop, so I don't know if the installation via ActiveSync actually works. If not, install the program without your device connected, then copy the CAB file manually over and run it. You may be prompted with an erroneous error message saying it's going to install in Main Memory, which is fine. Just continue with the installation.
  3. The installation will reassign the Messaging button to Voice Command, but you probably want to give that back to the Messaging or other favorite applet. Reassign the Voice Speed Dial button to launch Voice Command.
  4. Lastly, you must modify this registry entry in order to use your Bluetooth headset with Voice Command:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\VoiceCommand Path = "\Program Files\Voice Command\VoiceCmd.exe"

I have gotten my Motorola HS850 Bluetooth headset to work and it was able to recognize my contacts, phrases such as "What time is it?" and "What is my next appointment?" but when it came to perform a digit dial, it was a lost cause. It would only pick up seven of my 10 digits, or it would get half the number totally wrong. It may be just my headset as not having a good enough pickup or resolution for Voice Command to recognize the words, but since there's no training feature, Digit Dial is useless until hopefully the next version fixes it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Voice Command works ok on my Jasjar, but when I say a contact it doesn't display any of the information on screen and I get a blank entry. It will call the people though. Is this not the case on the KJam? Maybe it isn't voice command's fault.

Regarding the HS850, I use it too and I've found that it doesn't work very well for Voice Command either. I think it might be the quality of the headset, because a lot of people I talk to don't like the sound quality in normal conversations. Maybe the HBH-662 is worth a try?

10/06/2005 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger BeyondtheTech said...

I'm likely going to look into another Bluetooth headset. Everything's just a little screwy with the HS850. Thank goodness I have a connection at Cingular.

10/06/2005 10:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may be a dumb question, but how does one go about modifying a registry entry? Also, if I delete the SDDaemon.lnk as suggested, is there any way of getting it back if for some reason I want to go back to the OEM voice command system? Thanks in advance. It is appreciated.

10/11/2005 11:11:00 AM  
Blogger BeyondtheTech said...

Well, of course, the other option is to move it out of that folder and stick it in, say, \Windows, or \Program Files, where it won't be in the way or inadvertently run. You can always move it back at a later time.

10/11/2005 11:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did as you say. I have the same headset and Qtek 9100. It work in general except for one very disappointing issue. Initiating a voice command from the headset only works until first call you make. Having had a conversation over it, you then can't initiate voice command again. The headset simply can't get through to the 9100. And isn't it really awful that headset can't wake 9100 from the standby mode? Makes me sick.

11/19/2005 10:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home