I think we have some backup solution!
As with being an early adopter of new technology, you may feel like you're up on a pedestal, high above the rest of the crowd with "older" technology. The only downside to that is that you might feel a little lonely. Such is the case with Windows Mobile 5.0. I must say that I spent the last 8 hours off and on, trying a bunch of different applications and games, most with positive results, few with weird quirks, and even fewer that just won't run at all. But, what was lurking in the back of my mind was a great necessity for a backup solution.
It's sad to know that Microsoft ActiveSync itself does not support the Backup/Restore feature on Windows Mobile 5.0 devices...yet? So, I Googled to see if there were any other options, Windows Mobile 5.0-ready or not.
There are only three: Spb Clone, Sprite Backup Premium, and Sunnysoft Backup Manager. Word has it that none of them supposedly work with Windows Mobile 5.0, or at least claimed compatibility with it, since most developers don't have Windows Mobile 5.0 devices yet, either. Since Sprite announced an actual update in the works, I decided not to even bother trying to install the current version on my K-JAM. I went for Spb Clone first. Needless to say, all I got was a consistent and total lockup when it attempted to start the backup procedure. Oh well.
But then I took a closer look at Sunnysoft Backup Manager, version 3.5. I loaded up my K-JAM with all my settings and programs, then installed SBM. Installation went fine. I launched the program, went into Advanced Mode (I'm the guy who never hits "Typical" for an installation, so "Basic" mode is the same no-no for me), and made sure my settings were correct. I started the backup... and after a few minutes, I had a self-extracting backup of my K-JAM!
Well, that was exciting! But, now, for the real test. I hard reset my device and started from scratch. I launched the self-extracting backup and it complained that a CPL or DLL file was missing (I don't remember which, since I was intently watching my favorite show on DVR, Criss Angel's Mindfreak). So, with the CAB file of SBM handy, I reinstalled the backup program onto my K-JAM, then ran the self-extracting backup file again. It launched! (So much for an integrated package! It may be a self-extracting executable, but it still needs the backup program, or at least a file from it.)
It asked me if I wanted to restore. Of course! It chugged away, restoring the registry first, then followed with all the files it backed up. A few minutes later, it was done, and it was asking me to reboot. I did.
I watched the HTC logo go by, followed by the i-mate logo, and the Windows Mobile logo - none of which I have been able to find in order to customize yet... it's likely in the ROM and not a file - and WHAM! my K-JAM was fully restored! Settings, programs, everything like it was before I hit the hard reset!
I added more programs and settings and performed yet another backup with Sunnysoft Backup Manager. Hard reset. Install backup program. Restore from backup. Reboot. Perfect restoration once again!
This has turned out to be a very productive and eventful evening. I was getting tired of hard resetting my K-JAM for each application or group of applications I was testing, and having to redo all my settings, Owner information, customizations, etc. every single time.
Mind you, I did NOT have any Contacts, Mail, Tasks, or Appointments stored on my K-JAM, so I could not tell if all the Databases were being captured. But, just to know that the registry and files were all backed up and restored gives me a little more peace of mind that I've eliminated a bunch of steps.
Sunnysoft Backup Manager version 3.5 can be found here. I encourage you to try it out and post your results here.
For now, we've found a savior. At least a "data" savior. Can I get an "AMEN?!"

1 Comments:
Posted a suggestion for you here:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=743790
Sabesh.
Post a Comment
<< Home