10/11/2005

Game development continues!

Sort of related... Many of you know that I am also a game designer at heart. I have to admit that I had stopped production for nearly a month since I had a "programmer's block" of some sort and was getting burned out from sleeping at nearly 4AM every night (not to mention exhausted from the moment I got to work) while piecing together my latest game, Battlestar: Fate of the Galactic Commonweath. I also had sold off my E-Ten M500, so it was tough to play and test a touchscreen-based action game on my desktop PC. Needless to say, I've got my K-JAM and honestly could not be anymore pleased with the device. I was concerned if Battlestar could play well, considering the fact that at one point, the game got so detailed that it cut the frame rate from 30 to 15 frames per second, and I decided to redo the entire game from scratch and program it much better from the getgo. I tested the current alpha release on my K-JAM and am happy to say that I'm satisfied with the results. The K-JAM's 200MHz TI OMAP processor was able to sustain a good frame rate as my M500's 400MHz Samsung processor did, and a friend's JAM with its 416MHz Intel XScale processor. I hope that puts the debate to rest once and for all that the 200MHz OMAP processor was a wise choice on HTC's part, especially when it does wonders for the battery life. Of course, I couldn't have been able to develop such a nice game without the help of Brazilian native Makslane Araujo Rodrigues, the sole mastermind behind his multi-platform game development system, simply called Game Editor. If you ever have an inkling for game or multimedia development, this is the program to have. It's so easy to build a game or a multimedia application, it's not even funny! With the same code, you can export your game to Windows desktop, Pocket PC, and Linux. Makslane is also heavy in development of the environment and I'd like to think I played an integral part in beta testing his latest builds. The biggest reason that made me get back into shareware game designing after 17 years was the fact that this software is ridiculously affordable. For the full, latest version of his software, the least you have to pony up is $14.99! That's less expensive than some games that are out there! You can get a full year's worth of updates for something like $99.99, but I've just been paying for the next version at each release. By the way, I'm liking the K-JAM so much, that I'm thinking of revising the game to accomodate the landscape format and the integrated keyboard. After all, wouldn't that make the gameplay more exciting to play and others to look at from a distance? I'm sure it'll turn some heads. I also think JASJAR (Universal) and PPC-6700 (Apache) owners will feel the same way about it. What do you think? Do you want a sneak peak of what Game Editor can make from your imagination? Then, take a look at the teaser trailer of Battlestar: Fate of the Galactic Commonwealth, and you'll see how powerful it really is. It's a Windows Media Video file at 4MB and runs for a cool minute. Enjoy the show, and keep a lookout for the game. Another project is soon to follow, and I know you won't be disappointed... stay tuned!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like the OMAP is going to keep us in check/benchmark? future games. At least they'll run smooth on the faster procs.

10/12/2005 04:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This game looks awesome, will be supporting VGA displays?
When will be some demo released?

Thanks for info.

Regards,
Richard Bukovansky

10/13/2005 07:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home