Did you reflash your device?
There's been a bit of controversy on a HowardForums thread regarding a possibly different version of a K-JAM firmware upgrade. I will make this recommendation now before you read any further that you do not reflash your K-JAM with this version, since it has been determined that it's likely the same version that is on your current production model.
Of course, I base my recommendation on the simple fact that I had to try it. After all, i-mate provided the download for all K-JAM owners. Then again, i-mate provided the first update for JASJAR users, and inadvertently uploaded the Arabic version as the English version, causing a bit of a panic on the technical support side, but not as much panic as the end user of each JASJAR had!
You may recall a post on msmobiles.com that showed a roadmap by HTC of their devices. It was found out that our Wizard was initially called the Prodigy, so if you launched the current K-JAM ROM Upgrade Utility in question, you got a prompt saying you're about to flash your "Wizard ROM" to a "Prodigy ROM."
I'm glad to report that my K-JAM is, thankfully, still alive and kicking. The upgrade process did not seem to modify the External ROM, so when people were commenting that their device was running smoother and that this "upgrade" did not come with the alleged slowdown due to the built-in antivirus software, it was likely a false sense of relief.
I will divulge that before I received my K-JAM, I had read reports that the antivirus software that was preloaded onto the Extended ROM was causing some undue slow down or sluggishness (that result in itself may be equally debatable). So, considering that in our current state of affairs, there are only three (yes, I laughed, too!) Windows Mobile virus definitions in Symantec's AntiVirus for Handhelds as of December 2004, one of them being a test virus, I took it as a sign that antivirus software is not necessary at this time and will be a waste of valuable resources and processor time - so I removed it from my Extended ROM.
Should you feel adventurous, impulsive, or bored and want to try to customize your Extended ROM, do so at your own risk. Here is a mirror of the upgrade utility. But as for the flash upgrade, I started with the same version numbers and ended with the same version numbers, except for the little "Wizard" vs. "Prodigy" discrepancy in the flash utility, and the device works the same as it did before I flashed it. Perhaps we're all just jumping the gun a bit and wanting a little too much too quickly. After all, there are only comparatively a handful of Wizard owners out there right now, and its official release date was just only two weeks ago - I'd be surprised if i-mate would be that quick to come out with a firmware update. I know that one came out quick for JASJAR users, but from what I gathered on multiple forums, they did have some moderate to serious outstanding issues right out of the box.
Hope this gives you a little piece of mind that these Wizards are doing comparatively pretty fine out of the box, yet i-mate is aware of current issues that they are actively working on to fix for us.

3 Comments:
If you reflash, does that wipe your device clean?
I hate to disaggre, but my Kjam is behaving much better now that I reflashed the Ext_Rom. I was having PIE problems before that have now been resolved.
I've also noticed that many of the files that I had to initially remove from my Ext_Rom were not in the new Rom.
on second thoughts....after trying everything above for more then a month and hacking the rom to get all that is said in all the forums INCLUDING YOUR SUGGETIONS i still could not get my skype working..The biggest difference though was the increase in speed of operation overall..
so i was using some other rom from some other device provided by u ofcourse with the config.txt...I did finally download the 55mb rom(said to be the one shipped with the product)..
[B]WOW[/B] everything for me changed automaticly...speed is now faster then even the other rom i upgraded...there is no skype on this rom means for sure imate realised that this is the one which was creating all the problem...
Now the phone rocks without any hack. Security question though asked while loading a software but does not stop me from using it any a way...need your comments on the same..
regards
deepak
Post a Comment
<< Home