10/14/2005

Conduits Pocket Player 2.7 to support the K-JAM

I've been having a field day with Carrie from Conduits, the maker of the famous Pocket Player software. We have been exchanging feedback and a number of beta versions to get their program running correctly on the K-JAM, and I must say that 1. her direct contact has been extremely appreciated, and 2. they finally hit the nail on the head with the latest beta build I received from them! If you've attempted to install version 2.6 on your K-JAM, you would have likely noticed a choppy and extremely slow playback of any compressed audio file. Initially, I was highly concerned that it was my 200MHz OMAP processor and that it had met its match. But, of course, reality set in and told me that if Windows Media Player could do it, then it must be the code in Pocket Player. And, so I set out to contact Conduits, to which they have been awesome in listening to my recommendations and feedback on their software. The latest beta version of 2.7 plays all the compressed audio perfectly and I can still multitask with other programs, such as surfing on Internet Explorer Mobile, or playing a game. I'm sure they might have a number of new features or bug fixes, but I never got a chance to enjoy version 2.6 for what it was to find out what 2.7 had in store for us. Nevertheless, you can expect another quality product from them very shortly. Carrie also pointed out that if I extend the K-JAM's keyboard, it will automatically change the skin to its landscape counterpart, and if you close the keyboard, it will flip back to portrait. There was a delay of a few seconds, but it was very cool to see that the program responded to the integrated feature of the K-JAM. If you want to get a hold of the latest beta, you can send an email to support@conduits.com and they'll provide you with a link. Make sure you buy their software through PocketGear, as it's definitely worth the $19.95. The software supports WMA with DRM, audio streams, gapless playback, DSP plug-ins, and much more. And if you think that's cool, grab Juni's detailed custom skin for Pocket Player, or you can pick up Winamp WSZ skins and make it look the way you want to.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried some of the free solutions like MortPlayer and/or GSPlayer?

Pocket Player 2.61 just decided to stop working on my 2750 and not even an uninstall/reinstall will help. I had the same problem on my 4150 with Player.

10/15/2005 02:23:00 PM  
Blogger BeyondtheTech said...

I don't believe either one has WMA support, and my library is pretty much half MP3, half WMA. On top of that, some of the content I have has DRM protection on it, so I'd like to be able to play it with a single solution such as PocketMusic or Pocket Player. But, since PocketMusic has not come up with a solution that will even launch on the K-JAM, not to mention the great fact that Conduits has been really supportive in getting it to run on the K-JAM, I'm leaning heavily towards Pocket Player.

10/15/2005 02:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, Carrie at Conduits is EXTREMELY helpful. This is a great product with outstanding support. Highly recommended for any Windows Mobile phone or handheld.

10/17/2005 01:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTT,

Quick question: Does Pocket Player continue playing when you press the power/standby button? I'm looking for that feature so I can just toss the phone in my pocket and walk/listen without worrying about hitting the buttons (or is this just a pipe dream for me?)

Thx bud, and keep up the great work!

10/18/2005 09:38:00 AM  
Blogger BeyondtheTech said...

1. There's an auto screen-off feature that you can set to a certain time (60 seconds, for example), and it will prevent keys from being hit as well.

2. You can force the screen-off feature and again, it will prevent keys you choose from being hit.

In either case, it's a great way to play some tunes and yes, throw it into your pocket for exercising without having to worry about inadvertently changing the song, etc. With the buttons on the Wizard being flush and difficult to press, it makes it even better. I have set my 'toggle screen' button to be the Comm Manager button in the program, since it's the hardest to hit.

10/18/2005 09:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home